The key idea of strategic planning of Moscow — waiting for the drastic deterioration in the international situation and growth of tension in relations with the West. And it explains if not all, many things in Russian politics.
1. Moscow is convinced of the inevitability of the deterioration of relations with the West. And although negotiations/consultations will continue (simulated), nobody believes in reaching serious agreements. So, we must prepare for the intensification of Western pressure and new sanctions.
2. The growing international turbulence the Kremlin’s strategists believe the confirmation of his conclusion about a significant increase in the risk of large-scale military conflict. Accordingly:
3. It is urgent to modernize military capabilities and to prepare the country for the “special period in peacetime”.
4. Autonomy of the Internet, the increased capacity of the gold reserves, militaristic propaganda, selective repression of the elite, and more — steps for the formation of mobilization readiness.
5. When this line has no special value investment attractiveness of the country. Much more than its “closure” from foreign, potentially hostile eyes.
6. Domestic policy mimics the “normal” (elections etc.), but this screen can be easily discarded.